Sunday, November 27, 2011

Week 12 Quotes

"In a culture that values intellect more than intuition or emotion, typical environmental education too often emphasizes facts and information in lieu of experience." (Pelo 2009)
This quotes comes under the heading embrace sensuality. As someone who emphasizes science, I will often fall back on facts and logic. But I must always remind myself that there is a sensuality and spirituality to the natural world. One of my pet peeves is people (especially scientists) who view science as cold, hard logic. Even if we use facts and logic to explain natural processes, they do not diminish the spiritual/sensual nature of the world. Sure we can explain why blackberries taste so sweet, facts can't explain why it has such a specific, delicious taste or why experience the flavor affects each person differently on an emotional level. Sure I can explain the forces that govern subatomic particles, but that explanation in no way diminishes my amazement that such a physical system arose in such a way as to be able to create atoms, molecules and so on such that we are living, breathing things. To me, this quote speaks to fostering that feeling of wonder toward the natural world in tandem with those cold, hard facts.

"Culture - The practices, beliefs, traditions, moral norms that give the people a common sense of identity and way of understanding their relationship to the environment and to each other." (EcoJustice Dictionary)
After reading this definition, I began to wonder if we as Americans really have a culture. Actually, we do have a culture, but is it a culture that we are actually aware of. This definition includes some very deep concepts and ideas. Do we really live our lives in full awareness of our culture? Do we fully understand how and why we interact with each other in the way we do? Do we truly connect to the environment in a manner that we are conscious of. I keep thinking back to the Lee Mun Wah video The Color of Fear in which Victor points out that white men have lost their culture. White men like me have a culture, the culture of consumerism. Is it a meaningful one? Is it one that actually allows for deeper connections implied by this definition? My answer is no, and because of that I am truly saddened.

"Place-based education (PBE) immerses students in local heritage, cultures, landscapes, opportunities and experiences, using these as a foundation for the study of language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and other subjects across the curriculum." (Place Based Education)
I really like the ideas on this website, and it gives some really inspiring and constructive stories for how to actually utilize place-based education in the classroom. All too often, classroom teaching occurs in a bubble that separates it from the outside world. We cannot continue an isolationist approach to teaching if we want to be successful. Even if one were to follow a traditional pedagogy that prepares students to enter the work force, it doesn't make sense to not connect to the community where they will be putting those skills into practice. What I'm saying is, although place-based education is more transformative, from a logical perspective it is a great tool regardless of one's views toward the purpose of education.

4 comments:

  1. I think that 'white people' can embrace their multi cultures (their European roots) and their religions. I have Peruvian culture, NY culture (where I'm from), New England culture, Christian culture, and so many other layers. Just embrace what you have- and that also includes the scientific culture and community! Americans are consumers, but also are philanthropists and have made some great contributions to the world. America has a rich and diverse culture for all to share- even the Macy's Day Parade can be part of our culture! And I was also moved by the Hawaiian video- and inspired to enjoy nature more. America has such diversity in its climates- its all here for us to explore! I feel optimistic after learning about Hula!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. I have lead my life trying to seek out the things I enjoy and that make me passionate about life. And ultimately those things can be part of my American culture. To focus on the bad is wrong of me. I guess my larger point is simply that we should connect to our culture more an be aware of it. Too many Americans are passive consumers of their culture when they should be active participants. For good or ill, being active in one's culture is ultimately better than being a bump on a log and letting culture just absorb you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitly a consumer culture; the have nots are always wanting and hoping and working to 'have'. We mock those who are passionate or spiritual and make fools out of them in media and movies. I want to enjoy life more in general and take the time to appreciate nature, and also my friends and family. Teachers should try to make connections to nature in their lessons when possible; when I am hiking I think about the first settlers who arrived in Massachusetts and what they saw and went through in the wooded forests. This could help kids get visuals and FEEL the lesson, not just passively watch it from their desks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ultimately, that same level of emotional connection to nature is why I went into biology. The sensory connections to nature are what excite me. Watching eggs hatch or birds mate on a beach in Cape Cod is more exciting and interesting than reading about reproduction. As a teacher, those are the type of connections I want to make. I want to make those facts come alive for those students. I can only do that through cultural and community connections.

    ReplyDelete