Saturday, November 26, 2011

Week 9 Quotes

"As John Dewey observed in his Experience and Education, 'the history of educational theory is marked by opposition between the idea that education is development from within and that it is formation from without.'" (progressive vs. traditional education)
I am a sucker for intellectual discussions like this involving reasoning through semantics. This one raises an interesting point. Educational theory is so often treated as sets of exclusively opposite theories. Even in our education courses here at Central, theories are often presented in this either-or fashion. The truth is, the process of learning and how the mind works is different for every individual, and often times the theories a teacher must employ can become muddled together. For one lesson, a traditional approach may be best; for another, a transformative approach. One student may respond to behaviorism while another may work better with constructivism. The important thing is that the teacher not shoehorn students into specific learning styles. Teachers should also not stick to strictly one way of teaching. Multiple theories exist for a reason - because all of them have strengths and weaknesses depending on the circumstances.

"Inductive reasoning, by its very nature, is more open-ended and exploratory, especially at the beginning." (Deduction & Induction)
In science education, we are being encouraged to utilize inquiry, a process that focuses on having students do work around a researchable question. The theory is not new, but it has been seldom practiced in science classrooms. Due to its exploratory nature, I would classify inquiry as more inductive, though as this article points out the two methods of reasoning can actually work quite well together in a cyclical fashion. I can see how inquiry-oriented lessons would provide better opportunities for learning, as the students are taking a more active approach to figuring things out. However, I'm finding it incredibly hard to teach. Designing a lesson that incorporates that open-endedness yet provides students with appropriate scaffolding can be very difficult and time consuming. This is not to say that I won't use inquiry, but I think there's a need to balance inductive and deductive reasoning both for students who are unfamiliar with inductive approaches and for myself as I gain confidence in my teaching ability.

"Despite the rhetoric of the centrality of critical thinking, a legacy of the progressive era, they have embraced the idea of school as a training ground, and have largely accepted the concept that the main problems of education can be resolved with money and greater access." (Aronowitz 2010)
Unfortunately, this semester has both encouraged and discouraged me when it comes to education in America. I have become encouraged at seeing the personal and professional growth I have gone through and the understanding I have gained of different approaches to teaching. However, in working with my cooperating teacher, I have become discouraged seeing the true state of the educational system. I have been told my teacher is one of the better teachers available for student teaching, and I should say that by no means is this comment an attack on her ability as a teacher. But her methods reflect this idea of viewing schools as training grounds. Her pedagogical approach is largely traditional with some liberal-progressive approaches thrown in. She would be the first to argue that students need critical thinking skills. But she rarely focuses on teaching critical thinking skills. This is no fault of her own; her methods are a product of a system that has reverted to the idea of schools training the next generation. I hope when I become a teacher that I can retain the passion and drive to resist falling into this mold.

4 comments:

  1. I think that the standardized testing makes teaching critical thinking skills even harder for teachers to do. For example, I will have a social studies textbook to cover in a year with kids, and X amount of content to cover. This year, my cooperating teacher is covering the Civil War to the present. Thats ALOT of material. And we are supposed to prep kids for testing coming up in high school already (im in 8th grade). So the extra stuff we want to get into is chopped down constantly. I hope that I will have time to add many different types of teaching styles and let students really explore history and be like real historians. If I just am using traditional and deductive tactics- the kids will be bored!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, REALLY hated history classes for exactly that reason. Even from an early age, I was offended that the school system was treating me as if I needed only a cursory narrative of history. Give me the nitty-gritty. Give me details. There are SO many interesting stories that get shoved to the side. But to me it's those details that make the history come alive. In a similar way, science focuses on major concepts or even "important details" but all too often glosses over some of the more interesting implications to scientific theories or the exceptions to the rule. Genetics (one of topics students seem more interested in) explains how parents pass along the DNA coding for traits to their offspring, explaining in a scientific fashion why we look similar to our parents. All well and good, but how often do we make the connection from individual level genetics to full-scale evolution? Or how often do we talk about epigenetics, which basically says, "Hey you know those traits that get passed from parents via sperm and eggs? Well here are some oddball traits that get passed along too even though they can't possibly be connected to DNA and science can't currently explain how that happens!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, and I have always wondered about non physical traits and can they be passed on to offspring? I think by having this discussion, students will reflect on themselves, their own personalities and habits, and maybe seek self improvement. And also in that lesson- nature vs nurture would be a great discussion! Science linked with psychology, and maybe throw an English writing assignment- there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think topics like this and your history examples emphasize the quality over quantity approach that's needed. Standardized testing encourages quantity in my opinion. Students really need quality - a more in-depth approach. What's the point in knowing a bunch of information with only a cursory understanding? I find it much more helpful to have a good understanding of only a few topics. Thankfully, I feel as though the CT Science Content Standards are broad enough that I can take the approach of quality over quantity.

    ReplyDelete